Thursday, June 16, 2011

Alone in the Rain?





Rain falls hard
enclosing me in this wonderful prison of a porch
where I write.
Flowers in their pots nod to the grass
where clover opens its arms
happy for a morning drink.





What could be better
than this din around me
that sends the impatient robin onto a branch
dry among the spruce boughs 
and the phoebe to its spot under our eaves? 
(The same spot where its ancestors have huddled for decades
after dropping white, digested bugs onto our clean porch rail.)



Am I alone feeling joy 
in the dark above me?
Seeing sky that hovers between gray and gone; 
between up and down.
almost touching the earth
with opalescent wisps of moisture?

What other of God's creatures
could so patiently sit
surrounded by rain,
rain that is almost quiet 
in its monotonous drum?


Could any Other be out there
like me, feeling alone
and being quite okay with that?






No, it is just me.
Just me.
Me, alone with God, on this hill 
inspired by the rain 
to do what I am led to do,
to play my part
in this lovely drenched world.




Alone. 
Alone? 
Yes, I am sure.
Almost. 
Maybe not.
Am I alone?

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh that was great. love that little frog keeping you company in your aloneness...

Karen said...

I'm so glad to have found you! Loved this post, I've spent about an hour reading through your older ones too, and have enjoyed it immensely. You are a very talented writer.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

At least you got a frog ...

Susanna Hartigan said...

Hey! It's been a while. I could not remember the name of your blog until I cleared out some of the junk I had subscribed to.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Karen and Texwise, thank-you.
Wong Ching Wah, Frog? what frog? I thought I was alone. Maybe none of us are as alone as we sometimes feel.
Susanna, Welcome back!
nellie

Lona said...

Oh I use to love to watch tadpoles when I was a kid. You are fortunate to have frogs in your pond. I wish I had some in my little one. The cats wold probably get them though.

MadSnapper said...

this is great, he is so sweet, ugly bug eyes and all, really like the last shot. and the baby tabpole is cute

LR Photography said...

Nice series, congratulations!

eileeninmd said...

Cute post, I love your frog photos.

Anne McCormack said...

What a lovely poem! It really evokes the feeling of quiet within a summer shower. I love the part about the phoebe nested where it's ancestors nested. Enjoyed the photos too!

Sharkbytes said...

Nice poem and the little frogs are whimsical

Carolyn ♥ said...

Love your words... love that you let your muse out of the closet... mine has to be coaxed at times.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Nellie,
Lovely post! Thanks for your nice comment on my bloom day post. I also enjoyed your previous and most recent posts.

Rose said...

this was a wonderful post...