The seed mixture that we planted in the shade was labeled "shady mix" but our shade was probably too much for it. A few plants came up the first summer with no blooms. Last summer some of the plants were back and I think we had 2 blackeyed Susans bloom. This year, many plants have come up and we have continually had a couple blooming. They are interesting to watch with totally different flowers than what the meadow strips offer though we do have to remember to walk by them to check since they are a bit out of the way.
The strips are a mixture of self-seeding annuals, perinnials and biennials. The new strips will hopefully bloom in time for our cousin's wedding in a few weeks.
I did do some dead-heading this week. Like everything else this summer, the wildflowers came up early and quickly started going to seed. In an effort to have blooms for the up-coming wedding, I took out my clippers and went to work for a couple hours snipping off the spent flower heads. I tried to drop the seed heads back into the beds and I left plenty for the goldfinches that spend a big part of their day among the flower heads.