Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Cone of Echinacia



I've been fooled several times by a forming Echinacia or coneflower. To a novice the early stages of the flower look like a flower that has already lost its petals. While this may be true on other composits, the slow process echinacia takes several days to come into bloom, Be sure to click on the photos to enlarge them for more detail.

The cone appears first with little color

It begins to show color as does its petals.
A truly spent blossom is still beautiful as it hangs on to its color which will evenutally turn dark brown.
A bright pin cushion holding onto its seeds well into winter, standing upright to provide a sturdy perch for seed-eating birds.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A beauty revealed at stages.
Thank you for your photographs and the information
Costas

Les said...

If Echinacea did not have those cones, I don't think I would grow them. I am unable to resist a feel of them as I walk by.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Les, I agree. They don't even need petals!