Thursday, February 25, 2010

Eastern Bluebirds

Yesterday's respite from snow called for a woodland journey.  As I often do, I headed out the new tree path. The crow announced my leaving.  This must have meant that they were free to explore the compost pile for whatever they could find without worrying about me coming out my back door spurring them into a panicked exit.  A crow followed me on my journey, continually circling overhead going from tree to tree while calling out, I guess to let the others know where I was. It was about 8:30 am, about 38 degrees and the birds, like me, were taking advantage of the break in the weather. Robins were singing but I never saw one.

Bluebirds, too, were filling the woods with song. They must have been happy to see the ground as they flew from tree to ground in search of living food.  When this one rested on a branch it seemed to be watching me as much as I was watching it.  It was singing joyfully as it perched. A second eastern bluebird  took its turn in both singing and eating.  I'm not sure what they were eating, but I did spot some bugs on slowly moving across the mud.
Watching the bluebirds made me pay more attention to the ground.  For this reason I have the Eastern bluebird to thank for spoting my first worm of the season.  As I flipped over a muddy earth clod, a worm fell into a puddle and quickly swam for dry ground.  While the worm is not as colorful as the bird, it was a joy to find.

No comments: