Monday, December 5, 2011

Heron Comes Home to Roost

Evening falls like an autumn leaf on Cove Lake.
Shimmering last light 
guides a Great blue heron 
home to roost.
Its lonely flight mirrored
against darkening water,
the heron slowly soars 
through fading evening light.
 I see grace, beauty and strength
in every stroke of
those blue-gray wings.

 No warrior's drone
could be display more stealth.
As it pinpoints its target,
banks left,

then readies itself for a landing.
Static energy pulls it forward.
With shoulders bent then straight,
motion brings movement
across the still lake,



 until only a few strokes remain.
Until rest and darkness
envelope the heron
who, like me seeks the quiet of sanctuary.
----------------------------------------
Please don't forget to check in at my other blog, Waverly to Tahoe and Beyond
AND, for some Christmas shopping deals click on my self-promoting, blatantly commercial store
HERE


5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

they're such marvelous, huge birds! graceful in flight; curmudgeony when hunched over hunting; raucous when they cry out! :)

Nicole Pearce said...

One of my favorite birds. So beautiful to observe. Great shots.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

These birds are really huge ...

SquirrelQueen said...

Beautiful shots! I really like the first close up with the reflection on the water.

Out on the prairie said...

I really like these shots, one of my most always sought after bird.I try to sneek close in my kayak. When at Padre Island I could get within 25 ft. they felt safe.