Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In the Pink

So what are these tiny pink flowers?  are they maples or elms?  I have this image captured, and the tiny red flowers littered the woods this weekend.  They were everywhere on the ground. I noticed them, but didn't think to see what tree they came of of.  Are they maple? or maybe elm.  I'm thinking maple and after looking at several tree identification books, I really don't know - my photo is too close and the tree books don't pay much attention to the flowers.  I'll try to go back today and check out the actual tree, bark and all. If you can identify it, let me know in the comment box. Without knowing, I still enjoy the flower.  It was such a bright pink, almost red. 
I came across another nice pink, but this time it wasn't a flower at all but the bud covering of paw paw leaves.  I've taken a range of photos so that you can see how the leaves open.  the dark reddish brown flowers will soon follow. The pink bud stood out nicely on this cloudy rainy day.  In one of the photos below be sure to notice the hole drilled by ants.  You can even see that an ant is present below the hole.  I stood and watched as a couple ants entered the hole.  They must be hungry for something sweet after a long winter underground.

2 comments:

Les said...

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for commenting on my Higo Camellia post. One of my mother's closest friends was from Laurinburg.

I think your first shot is a Red Maple. I think your second tree looks more like a Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia) then it looks like Paw Paw. If so, it is a very special native and should have showy red flowers soon, if it is old enough.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

You are right about my photo not being paw paw. It is a buckeye or horse chestnut, not a red buckeye but an Ohio buckeye. We are at the far eastern range of the ohio buckeye and this is the most likely identification. There are thousands of these trees over our property, some only 5 inches high, though still with leaves. The older ones I've been watching have now bloomed. Interestingly, they are blighted and usually turn brown in August. It doesn't seem to hurt them as long as there isn't another additional stress for the trees to deal with. Thank you for your interest. I am always open to be corrected and am glad for more experienced eyes to help out.